Monday, April 21, 2008

Saturday Dinner, Elizabeth Moon

Well our dinner party on Saturday was very successful. One of the guests took pictures but judging by past performance, if I ever see them, I shall be surprised. Because my friend has eating problems these days, we did Goat Cheese Potato Purée which just slides down and is always popular. Our Romanian guest was very pleased with them too. It is a Bobby Flay recipe from way back which we have been using off and on for years. Everyone was delighted with the Chocolate Volcano dessert too. In fact, everyone liked everything which is always very pleasing to host and hostess.

Last night we had leftovers including one chocolate volcano which we split. When cold they turn into a fudgey consistency which is absolutely delicious. They are a real chocolate hit if you are a chocoholic like me. I serve them with a dollop of Double Devon Cream which just adds to the beauty of the flavours. Unfortunately, Chocolate Volcanoes are not a dieter's delight and contain a lot of calories, as does the potato dish of course.

I have just finished another Elizabeth Moon book Trading in Danger which I thoroughly enjoyed and have already started the next story, Marque and Reprisal. They are the start of a series called Vatta Wars about the daughter of a space trading company and I can highly recommend them to the spec. fic. buffs out there. I didn't realise I had read Elizabeth Moon before, but I actually own a book called Sassinak in which she collaborated with Ann McCaffery who is one of my favourites. Her blog is fascinating to read too.

Having talked about the Goat Cheese Purée I had better pass on the recipe - it is, as I mentioned, one we got from a Bobby Flay programme a few years back. I used to like his programme then, however, he has switched over to practially all barbecue which doesn't interest me nearly as much. I have quite a few recipes from his older programme.

Goat Cheese Potato Purée
Serves: 4

1 1/4 cup heavy cream
6 ounces soft goat cheese
6 potatoes, cooked, peeled and diced and kept warm
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Place goat cheese in a small food processor with 1/4 cup of the heavy cream and process until smooth. Rice potatoes into a large bowl. Mix in the butter and 1 cup of the heavy cream. Fold in the goat cheese mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste

I actually mash the potatoes and then whisk in the butter, cheese and finally cream. Either way, it has to be very soft, too many people try and make it like a mash, it isn't, its a purée and should be slightly runny.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment