Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Finance, Rosh Hashanah, Paul Newman

We just saw a special broadcast by George W. Bush regarding the $700 billion bail out which congress just voted against. They can't do anything about it today because Congress is taking the Jewish Holiday - Rosh Hashanah. Excuse me? Since when did Congress start celebrating Jewish holidays? Sure, if you are Jewish obviously you are going to celebrate it, but the whole of Congress cannot be Jewish surely?
In Matt's opinion Congress shouldn't be taking any kind of holiday until they have solved this major financial crisis. I am not sure where I stand on this, on the one hand people are right who say if a mom and pop store fails no-one bails them out, but if it does, it doesn't create a worldwide financial crisis. We, after all, live in Canada and I know our few Mutual Funds have taken a nose dive, in fact I haven't dared look and see how few dollars we have at the moment. The sound financial advice is to hang on, so we are hanging on. We don't have much and I have no doubt we have quite a bit less right now, so come on Congress, get back to work and maybe I agree you should vote for that financial bail out. For the first time in my life I actually George W. sounded like he was talking sense.
Talking of Rosh Hashanah, I have a very good Jewish friend in my cookery group and I know she has been very busy preparing for today. Last year we, as a group, joined her in celebrating the feast and made a similar meal on more or less the same day. The principle items which are a must are apples and honey which symbolises the hope of a sweet new year. There are some good Honey Cake recipes here if you are interested.
It was sad that Paul Newman died this weekend, I hadn't even heard that he had cancer I must confess. He was such a wonderful man and raised so much for charity with his sauces and dressings. He was also a very humble person. Barbara Walters (I've mentioned her before) did a great interview with him a year or two ago and he even took her for a ride in his race car. He really loved racing cars. This is a more recent picture of him, he was 83 when he died. These days, that isn't so very old, unless you are only in your twenties I guess. As I have mentioned before, more and more people are living longer and longer.
Don't forget to sign on to my Followers List please.
Funny, I was talking about Peameal Bacon for breakfast when we were in Manitoulin. I have just come across a Bacon Roast in the HomeBasics magazine I've been using for a recipe source lately. I must say it looks pretty good and I will certainly give it a try.
BBQ Peameal Bacon Roast
Serves 4
1/2 C barbecue sauce
1/4 C orange marmalade or peach jam, melted
2 tsp each grainy mustard and maple syrup
1 Tbs cider Vinegar
1 1/2 lbs whole peameal bacon roast
Preheat the barbecue to medium-high and grease the grate. Combine the barbecue sauce, jam or marmalade, mustard, maple syrup and cider vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high, stirring often, for 2 mins. or until smooth and glossy. Let cool slightly. Brush a third of the sauce over the roast. Grill, turning and basting often, for 1- mins. or until the roast is evenly marked. Turn the burner directly under the meat off and set the remaining burner(s) to medium-low. Close the lid and roast over indirect heat, turning and basting occasionally, for 30 mins. or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meat reads 160°F (71°C). Transfer to a carving board and let stand for 5 minutes.
They recommend serving it with Knorr Cheddar Cheese Pasta with Broccoli and Carrots. However, obviously you can choose your own sides.
Have a great day.

3 comments:

  1. It seems ludicrous that Congress is taking today off because it is Rosh Hashanah today, especially in light of the grave financial crisis.

    Only 2% of the American population is Jewish. I think it would have been wiser to work today for the sake of all Americans.

    If we are accommodating such a small group why not close for Ramadan, Diwali, & Buddhist holidays. All have larger populations in the U.S. than Jews.

    Like it or not the overwhelming majority of people in America are at least nominally Christian.

    I suppose now I will deemed an anti-Semite as opposed to what I really am. A guy who doesn't like the tail wagging the dog, especially when the city is on fire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo --

    When I heard that Paul Newman had died, the first thing that came to mind was what a "nice guy" he was. I just hope that some biographer is not going to take him apart now.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete