Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Poppy Day

I have been 'remembering' for a very long time. When I was a kid, I didn't really know what I was supposed to be remembering, but as Remembrance Day started before I was born, I gradually learned what it was all about and stood, with others, for two minute's silence in respect for those who fought and those who gave their lives for our freedoms. It is tragic to see so many of those freedoms abused today. It just hit me this morning, in the States they call it Veteran's Day, we call it Remembrance Day but originally it was called Armistice Day and commemorated the signing of the armistice at the end of the First World War which was signed on November 11, 1918 at 11:00 a.m. Wikipedia tells you all about it. Today is the 90th anniversary of that day.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved, and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.

Lt.-Col. John McCrae
Have a great day. I am sick this morning.

2 comments:

  1. it's a nice poetry but quite not happy though !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it was meant to be happy Gynie.

    ReplyDelete