Friday, January 16, 2009

Books, Brains, Australia

Apparently the Telegraph has published a list of 100 books everyone should read, both Satima (Satima's Blogspot) and Glenda (Tropic Temper) have blogged about it this morning. I haven't checked their lists right through to see what they have read and what the list comprises. I must do so later. However, when I have finished blogging, I am going to be making a Melk Tert for tomorrow's Dinner Around the World (South Africa). I have two recipes, one I got from a friend in South Africa and one I got from the internet. Matt voted for the version I got from the internet so that is the version I am going for. Watched a bit more of the programme about Mysteries of the Mind last night, although I was kind of reading and watching together. The brain can cause some really odd things to happen. One of the people last night had decided 16 years into her marriage that her husband was now an imposter. She doesn't have any idea what happened to the real husband, but she knows this is not him. Another man cannot recognise his daughter when she walks up and down in front of him in a local square, until she speaks to him. Even his own face, shown to him on a screen, he doesn't recognise, yet in other respects he is able to live a perfectly normal life. If you are interested in checking out these stories check here where they have videos of all the episodes so far. It being so cold here, the ability to park near the theatre/cinema being impossible and so much snow on the ground all combined with difficulties walking, I decided not to go see Australia last night. Checking to see if the movie was still on, I discovered things had changed and it wasn't even showing last night anyway. I am so glad we just didn't head out there. It certainly said it was showing on Monday, but they must have changed it during the week. Pity. Guess we will have to wait for the DVD as it doesn't seem to be on anywhere else in the area. Pity as I am told the scenery looks so much better on the big screen. Anyway, I have to go so I will leave you with the recipe for Bobotie and Yellow Rice which I am cooking tomorrow. Bobotie Hub, UK

For the bobotie: 1kg minced lamb 125ml milk 1 thick slice of white bread, crust removed and soaked in milk 2 roughly chopped onions Butter Salt 1 tablespoon curry powder 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional and only if you like your food quite hot) 1/2 cup vinegar 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 teaspoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon chutney 8 - 10 crushed almonds (optional) 3 eggs 1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped 6 bay leaves 1 orange, sliced in wheels 1 lemon, sliced in wheels Oil for cooking

For the yellow rice: 2 cups rice 3/4 cups raisins, soaked in water for 20 minutes, then drained 1 teaspoon turmeric Dash of salt 2 sticks cinnamon

Method

The bobotie:

  • Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, onion and curry powder.
  • Cook over medium heat for three minutes, then add the minced meat.
  • Fry until the meat is almost done, then using your hands, squeeze the milk from the bread.
  • Discard the milk and add the bread, vinegar, lemon juice , sugar and chutney to the mince.
  • Fry for a minute or so and then remove from heat.
  • Take a pie dish and place three bay leaves, two wheels of orange and two wheels of lemon at the bottom.
  • Now scoop the mince mixture into the dish.
  • Decorate the sides of the dish with the rest of the lemon and orange wheels, wedging them between the mince and the sides of the dish so that only a third protrudes.
  • If you like using almonds, push them into the mince.
  • Beat the eggs and 125ml milk and pour over the meat.
  • Put three bay leaves on top of the milk mixture.
  • Place the dish uncovered in the oven and cook for 30 minutes at 160ÂșC.
  • Serve with a plain green salad or chopped tomato, fresh chilli and onion, sprinkle with a little vinegar.
  • Serve bobotie hot with the yellow rice.

The yellow rice:

  • Place all the ingredients, including the raisins in about 750ml water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • If there is still excess water in the pot when the rice is tender, pour it out carefully.
  • Dot the rice with a few blobs of butter and give it a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.
  • Cover and keep warm.
Have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. Jo --

    Does the Telegraph say from where one should get the time to read the 100 books?

    Bobotie! Takes me back .......

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect they mean a life time of reading. A lot of the books listed I wouldn't even bother to pick up. Never appealed to me which is why I haven't read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo - now I know why I missed it - the builders were in and I was 'homeless' i.e not able to blog easily!

    Good bobotie recipe .. I do love that stuff ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good and everyone I have made it for has enjoyed it. My friend in South Africa uses ground beef but I prefer the ground lamb.

      Delete