Friday, May 29, 2009

Spelling Bee, Twitter, Susan Boyle.

We watched the Spelling Bee finals last night, they really are incredible these young kids. However, there were some words I didn't figure should be included, Neufchatel and Caerphilly which are both cheeses and Reykjavik which is apparently not just the name of the capital but a word derived from it. We found a lot of the earlier words to be comparatively easy too and they didn't seem to have too much trouble either. I was also interested to see how many of the young competitors were of obviously Indian descent. I don't Twitter although it appears that more and more people do. However, someone is using the author, George R.R. Martin's name and twittering with it. George emphatically denies being on Twitter see here and it must be very annoying for him when someone uses his name. I have been enjoying his books over the years and am awaiting the next in series with baited breath. Oops, searching for info I have just discovered that there is a new book in his Songs of Ice and Fire series which I haven't yet read, A Dance with Dragons. Also just read an article about Susan Boyle, the singer from Britain's Got Talent, sounds like she is reacting to the pressure of fame and perhaps not handling it too well. She even packed her bags and considered going home. I can't say I blame her - media pressure killed a princess!! There seems to be some doubt about whether she will win as there are two other acts which are very good. One a young boy singer and another a father and son act. I had to share this with you, it was in Karen Miller's blog this morning and I thought it was so funny. In one of my ezines I receive, Desserts du Jour, they had a dessert yesterday which really caught my eye and I will be trying for my very next dinner party. Orange Meringue Puddings 2 Tbs unsalted butter Zest of 1 orange 2 cups fresh orange juice 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 cup cornstarch 1/4 tsp salt 3 large egg yolks 3 egg whites 1 Preheat oven to 425F. In a medium saucepan over low heat melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, then whisk in the zest of 1 orange, 2 cups fresh orange juice, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup corn-starch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 3 large egg yolks. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour into 4 ramekins or custard cups. 2 In a bowl, beat 3 egg whites and 1/2 cup sugar until the sugar dissolves and stiff, glossy peaks form. Spread the meringue over the puddings. Bake until the meringue is browned, about 10 minutes. Set the puddings in a pan of ice water to cool, then refrigerate 1 hour or until cold. Servings: 4 Don't they sound delicious? Right, I am off to make what Matt, so rudely, calls meat pies. Tourtières sounds so much better. Have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. Is cute!

    Susan Boyle? I think it's all part of drawing viewers to the program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well she didn't win in the end but has a recording contract they say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just felt that she was not going to win. The tabloids have been taking her apart writing what a horrible person she is. I wonder if we've not seen and heard the last of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They said on the news last night that she already has a recording contract worth millions. You really are cynical Marilyn. She has such a beautiful voice and deserves a bit of success with it. Simon Cowell's face was smiling with pleasure last night.

    ReplyDelete