Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas Drinks, Mr. & Mrs. Mop.

I spent part of Wedenesday writing rent cheques for 2010. For some unknown reason the realtor who handles this property does not take direct deposits - they say its because they handle too many buildings - twaddle, other realtors don't have the problem, its the banks who deal with it anyway, not the realtors. It really tees me off to have to write 12 cheques instead of them just requesting the money from our bank. They need to join the 21st century. I have a husband who is technologically challenged, I don't need a realtor who is too *g*. Today, we tried an experiment, we employed a couple who used to be the superintendents here to do our cleaning. They are already doing it for others in the building. It was a great success. I feel so much better now that I know the place is so much cleaner. Neither of us is really up to cleaning house any more, too many aches and pains. Mind you I have always been domestically challenged other than in the kitchen. Most of my life I have had someone to do housework for me. For a while it wasn't possible, but now this couple charge a reasonable amount and we figure we can swing it. It is a relief to know every nook and cranny is properly clean again. Hey, last night I invented a cocktail, well I think I did anyway, we took a Whisky Mac which is made with a shot of whisky and a shot of Stone's Ginger Ale and added milk. It was good. However, I think it needs cream and maybe a sprinkle of chocolate on the top. I will have to get some cream and try it. You can tell I am still trying to lose weight *g*. Well, its Christmas innit? Matt stuck to his regular G & T. I actually wanted to make a punch but didn't have any suitable ingredients. This recipe came in yet another of the recipe emails I get from different sources. This time from Cooking.com and I couldn't resist it. I will certainly remember this for Christmas after all, its chocolate isn't it? White Hot Chocolate with Gingerbread Spice Source: Cooking.com 4 servings This white hot chocolate is creamy and full-bodied, thanks to the addition of egg yolks. It's topped with a dollop of whipped cream, grated white chocolate and a sprinkling of spice sugar. The kids will love it, and if there's any leftover for the adults it tastes great with a shot of brandy. INGREDIENTS 1 cup whipping cream 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar 3 large egg yolks 3 1/2 cups whole milk Pinch of salt 5 ounces white chocolate baking bars (such as Nestlé Premier White); 4 ounces finely chopped, 1 ounce finely grated 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon each: ground ginger, cinnamon and ground cloves 2 teaspoons sugar DIRECTIONS Combine cream and 3 tablespoons sugar and whip in cream whipper. Cover and refrigerate. Meanwhile, place remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar in heavy large saucepan. Whisk in egg yolks and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until mixture thickens slightly (do not boil), about 10 minutes. Add pinch of salt. Reduce heat to very low and add 4 ounces chopped white chocolate a small handful at a time, stirring constantly. When chocolate has melted, remove pan from heat and add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix spices and 2 teaspoons sugar; reserve. TO SERVE: Divide hot chocolate between smallish mugs or heatproof glasses. Top with a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle some spice-sugar and grated white chocolate over and serve. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Jo, you certainly are crazy about chocolate. I mean if you now put it in whiskey ... then what is there to say.

    But do enjoy it this Cmas and New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta get the cream yet. I haven't decided if the sprinkle of chocolate would be good or bad. Matt thinks bad.

    Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete