Saturday, February 13, 2010

Schoolhouse Rock, Olympic Games,

I mentioned briefly last week that I had heard, and couldn't believe, two songs, one about the 8 times table and another about adjectives. Last night I heard another called Conjunction Junction but they also mentioned Schoolhouse Rock. I checked this out on Google this morning and discovered it was part of a series of animated musical programmes created in the '70s for children - something I had never heard of. I am not quite sure why they are being played on an adults programme these days though. I did my grammar and math when I was at school thank you. If you are curious you can read Wikipedia click here or it appears that YouTube has a lot of the videos.
I didn't hear, until this morning, about the tragedy at the Winter Olympics in BC where a young luger, 21 yr. old Nodar Kumaritashvili from Georgia, was killed in a training accident just before the opening ceremonies. His team have decided to continue to participate in his memory. What a very sad start to the games. I regret we didn't watch the opening ceremonies, we did see a little bit of it, but were unable to see the whole show. As for the games themselves I see on a schedule that some of the downhill skiing has already been postponed. I really don't know why they haven't moved the snow sports venue somewhere else where there actually is some snow. Not that Canada has had a lot of snow anwhere so far this year. The southern and eastern States are getting it instead. There is a forecast of rain for Vancouver next week so God knows what they are going to do.
I haven't spoken to anyone from NC lately, but I do remember the second winter we were there we got 18 inches of snow at Christmas time and everything was paralysed. I have a feeling conditions may well be the same there right now. I mean even Florida is getting snow and that hasn't happened in 30 years or so. This means that there is snow in every one of the 50 contiguous states, a very unusual occurrence. I believe the snow is only in the panhandle area which is northern Florida, but even so.....
If you haven't got round to doing a dessert of any kind for Valentine's Day tomorrow, here is a quickie one from Kraft which I just got.
Chocolate Elegance
Kraft Kitchens
What You Need!
1-1/2 pkg. (250 g each) PHILADELPHIA Brick Cream Cheese, softened 1/2 cup sugar 2-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, divided 6 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, divided 1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding 1/2 cup milk 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Make It! BEAT cream cheese and sugar with mixer until blended. Stir in 1-1/2 cups Cool Whip; spread 2 cups onto bottom of 8x4-inch loaf pan lined with plastic wrap. Melt 3 chocolate squares. Add to remaining cream cheese mixture along with pudding mix and milk. Beat until blended. Spread over layer in pan. Refrigerate 4 hours. MICROWAVE remaining chocolate and Cool Whip in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 min.; stir until blended. Cool slightly. INVERT dessert onto platter. Remove pan and plastic wrap. Spread dessert with glaze; top with nuts. Refrigerate until glaze is firm.
Kraft Kitchens Tips Size-Wise Enjoy your favourite foods while keeping portion size in mind.
How to Soften Cream Cheese Place cream cheese in microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 20 sec. or just until cream cheese is softened.
Have a great weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment