Thursday, March 4, 2010

Doggie Bags, Peace Bridge Extension,

Not sure why, but at dinner last night I was thinking about doggie bags and wondering where they originated. I don't remember having doggie bags in England before we emigrated although I am sure they probably have them these days. Did people really want leftovers for their dogs in the beginning or was it always a way of taking remainders home. I have seen people collect bones for their dogs (but then again, for all I know it could have been for soups), some of which bones shouldn't be given to dogs anyway - too brittle. We rarely leave food and certainly not enough to be worthwhile bringing home. On the odd occasion we do, we usually end up throwing it away, it never looks as appetizing the next day. Of course doggie bags can mean something different. People walking their dogs always carry one to remove the poop left by their pup. Something which should be adopted by Europeans.
I have heard several mentions of the Peace Bridge expansion on the news lately and didn't quite understand what they were talking about. I found an article here http://www.thrivebuffalo.org/peace-bridge-expansion-project/ and I'm still not sure I know what they are talking about. I think they probably need to add a second bridge or extra footings on the old one, both things mentioned in the article. It is the bridge we use when crossing into the States and it often concerns me to see a line of heavy trucks right across the bridge stretching from border to border. That is a terrific amount of weight especially if all the trucks are fully laden. Makes me a tad nervous. The talk of extending the US plaza puzzles me as it always seems to be a huge place so why would they want more space, but maybe its to help process all those trucks more quickly.
We have yet another appointment this morning, this time for shoes. We get orthotics once a year, so we have to hi tail it to our supplier. I talked about having little to do on Tuesday (apart from being thrashed at cribbage by our friend) but every other day this week there is something. Yesterday I had to see my doc for my regular diabetes check up. Now she has put me on different blood pressure pills (you have to be careful about blood pressure and cholesterol if you have diabetes) but I see one of their possible side effects is muscle cramps. I get bad enough cramps as it is, I do NOT want anything else which will make the situation worse. Will have to talk to her (the doc).
I love Oriental noodle dishes and here is one which is diet friendly from Eating Well. I have just had breakfast but I could eat these right now.
Brothy Chinese Noodles From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This dish was inspired by Chinese Dan Dan noodles—ground pork and noodles in a spicy broth. We use ground turkey and omit the traditional Sichuan peppercorns for convenience, but add hot sesame oil. Use toasted sesame oil instead if you want mild noodles. 6 servings
Ingredients •2 tablespoons hot sesame oil (see Note), divided •1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey •1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided •2 cloves garlic, minced •1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger •4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth •3/4 cup water •3 cups thinly sliced bok choy •8 ounces dried Chinese noodles (see Note) •3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce •1 tablespoon rice vinegar •1 small cucumber, sliced into matchsticks, for garnish
Preparation 1.Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ground turkey, all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring and breaking up the turkey, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. 2.Add broth, water, bok choy, noodles, soy sauce, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the turkey mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Serve garnished with the reserved 2 tablespoons scallions and cucumber (if using).
Nutrition Per serving : 292 Calories; 10 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 43 mg Cholesterol; 22 g Protein; 6 g Fiber; 633 mg Sodium; 509 mg Potassium 2 Carbohydrate Serving Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat Tips & Notes •Ingredient notes: Hot sesame oil can be found in the Asian-food section of most supermarkets. •Dried Chinese noodles, often used in Chinese soups and lo mein, cook up quickly and can be found in the Asian-food section of most supermarkets.
Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment