Monday, May 24, 2010

Book Covers and Books. Oil in the Gulf,

Happy Labour Day.
We have been having a discussion on Glenda Larke's Tropic Temper (see link this page) about book covers. I just learnt today that a book seller can also dictate the cover of a book "if you change the cover I will buy 2,000 copies". This seems ridiculous to me, but if you want to sell I guess you have to do what the buyer wants. I know I have been complaining for years that so many book covers have absolutely nothing to do with the book itself. Witness some of the covers of Glenda's books which show horses and even things that look like pterodactyls, none of which are in here stories. I suppose, unconsciously, I am influenced by a book cover, although I think mostly I am interested in the blurb, but I guess I wouldn't even pick up a book unless the cover attracted me. I, of course, am a sucker for books with dragons on the cover, but even there I have been caught because dragons don't come in to the story much if at all. Maybe that comes under 'truth in advertising'. This weekend I have been re-reading some of Catherine Asaro's books. One from her Skolian Saga I knew I had read before, it is probably one of my favourites in the Saga - it is called The Last Hawk. The other two I have been reading are from her Lost Continent series which, I confess, I didn't remember having read before. I am enjoying them, but I feel stupid for not realising I had read them when I ordered them from the library. I must say I do love the Skolian Saga, I think it is an excellent series and if you like spec fic (it doesn't really classify as sci fi or fantasy) I am sure you will enjoy these books. I am very surprised too, to discover on Goodreads that people are reading some of Lois McMaster Bujold's stories about Miles Vorkosigan - I read and enjoyed those books years ago. How come they have only just been discovered by the people who are members of http://www.goodreads.com/
This morning I heard a statement that President Obama and his government are fed up with BP's ineffectual efforts in the Gulf of Mexico and might push BP aside - and do what I ask? I am sure BP are doing everything they can, I wonder what the American government think they can do and if anything, why, after 35 days, haven't they already done it? In factI know read that they have already taken charge and are, at present, working on building sand barriers to help prevent the oil washing ashore. Good Morning America is working hard on obtaining pictures to show people what is being lost and what damage is being done. BP themselves have been told to find a less toxic dispersant although they said on TV that the dispersant they are using contains products which can be found in regular household items such as shampoo.
Last night we had a new shrimp recipe, it was similar to one we had a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find that for some reason. I have no idea where I saved it. However, this one I found on line yesterday was very good. Tragically I didn't eat any asparagus yesterday, I have none left. Boo Hoo.
Stir-Fried Green Beans with Shrimp and Garlic 2 Tbs vegetable oil 3 garlic cloves, minced 1/2 lb large shrimp-shelled, deveined and cut into 1-inch pieces Salt 1/2 lb green beans, thinly sliced 1/4 inch thick on an extreme diagonal 1/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth 1 Tbs Asian fish sauce Freshly ground pepper 1. Heat a wok until very hot. Add the vegetable oil and heat until shimmering. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add the shrimp and a pinch of salt and stir-fry until the shrimp are just beginning to turn pink, about 30 seconds. Add the green beans and 2 tablespoons of the stock and stir-fry until the beans soften slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of stock along with the fish sauce and a generous pinch of pepper and stir-fry until the shrimp are cooked through and the beans are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes longer. Serve right away. Servings: 2 Source Author: Eric Banh and Sophie Banh
Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment