Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gasoline, Knees Up.

I couldn’t believe it, when we went out yesterday morning, we discovered gas had gone up 9¢ a litre. Apparently oil is now $100 US a barrel. Thank you Moammar Gadhafi et al. Apparently electricity (hydro) prices have also risen sharply too. I am not quite sure why electricity is always referred to as hydro around here, I don’t know if all our power is generated by water, but I don’t think so. The first time anyone asked me if our hydro was off, I went and turned on the taps and came back to report that it was OK. I learned. I guess Europeans would laugh at me complaining about another 9¢ a litre when they have been paying much more for gasoline for years. Air flights have been increased already, I begin to think we will never travel by air again. Apart from all the hassle which I can’t be bothered with, it is getting too damned expensive for anything.

Another thing I couldn’t believe, we got down to the clinic where I have my blood test at 6:40 and there were already 11 people in front of me. Incredible, what time do these people get up I wonder. However, I was out by 7:30 so not too bad.

This morning on GMA they were talking about the Knees Uppub owner who has been invited to the wedding of William and Catherine. His pub, The Old Boot, has been visited by her family for years and is their local. William has also been there on several occasions. John Haley, the pub owner, was interviewed and he talked about attending the wedding and getting back to his pub for the “knees up” he would be holding that evening. The GMA team immediately asked for a translation of “knees up” which  has actually come to mean a party although the original phrase came from a Cockney song “Knees up Mother Brown” in which Mother is normally pronounced Muvver. In this case, knees up refers to lively dancing.

  Looking for a picture I came across explanations which referred to sexual activities, I assure you, it has nothing to do with that, not originally anyway, and not in the UK vernacular. Oh, and in case you don’t know what a Cockney is, officially they had to be born within the sound of Bow Bells (a church) in London, England.

Now I am off to lunch as I told you the other day and then bowling.

The following recipe was in my Kraft newsletter this morning.

Low-Fat Chocolate-Banana Parfaits

Low-Fat Chocolate-Banana Parfaits recipe 

4 servings, 3/4 cup each

What You Need

1 pkg. (1.4 oz.) JELL-O Chocolate Fat Free Sugar Free Instant Pudding

2 cups  cold fat-free milk

2 bananas, sliced

3/4 cup  thawed COOL WHIP LITE Whipped Topping or COOL WHIP Sugar Free Whipped Topping, divided

Make It

BEAT pudding mix and milk with whisk 2 min.

SPOON half the pudding evenly into 4 dessert glasses. Cover with layers of banana slices and half the COOL WHIP; top with remaining pudding and remaining COOL WHIP.

REFRIGERATE at least 1 hour before serving.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Substitute

Looking to make just one? Try using a JELL-O Sugar Free Pudding Snack layered with 1/2 a banana, sliced and 2 Tbsp. COOL WHIP Sugar Free Whipped Topping.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment