Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Books, Sports, This ‘n That.

I meGreen Riderntioned a friend lent me a whole load of books but I didn’t mention that four of them are of The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. I must admit I found the first one slow going and am not sure I would have pursued the story if I hadn’t already had the books handy. As it turns out, that would have been a pity as the second book, First Rider’s Call turned out to be much better. I have the last and most recent book but have now discovered it does not wrap up the story so have no idea how many books this will extend to. I hope it doesn’t end up being like the Wheel of Time series which is at 13 books with another to come.

I have tried out something new with the previous paragraph, well new to me, I have used the hyperlink connection in my Windows Live Writer programme in the hopes it will give me the connection to Amazon.com that I am looking for. Every time anyone connects from my blog to place an order, I get a miniscule percentage. So far I really haven’t earned anything yet.

So no more league bowling til August 29 – we start that early because of the Labour Day Holiday in September – this is the only time we don’t bowl on a holiday, I think because the woman who runs the place always takes that day/weekend off.

On Sunday Matt was glued to the TV because of the last day of the Open in Britain (golf), then later he watched the women’s FIFA soccer finals between the US and Japan. Pity the US didn’t win, but it really was a close game. If it hadn’t been for the final shoot out it would have been a tie.

I have never heard of this summer soup before, but I love regular Gazpacho and this sounds like it would be very good. I think I would want to start with seedless watermelon though.

Watermelon Gazpacho

By The Gluten Free Goddess
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com

Picture of Watermelon GazpachoTailor this recipe to your own preferences. If you prefer it chunkier, switch out the romaine for a large yellow pepper. Add a garnish of finely chopped red onion or a dollop of creamy Greek yogurt and chopped fresh mint.

Ingredients

1 ice cold 3 lb. ripe watermelon (thump it- does it sound hollow?)
1 large cucumber, skinned, seeded (or 2 medium)
2 large celery stalks
1 small head romaine lettuce, trimmed, cut up
2 medium, dense, heirloom tomatoes, seeded, chopped
1-2 teaspoons minced Elephant Garlic
Juice from 1-2 limes, according to taste
2 tablespoons white balsamic or rice vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro, basil, mint or parsley
Sea salt, to taste

Instructions

Slice the watermelon, cut up most of it, taking out the seeds; reserve about 1 cup, diced fine. Toss the cut up watermelon into a Vita-Mix or blender. Add the cucumber, celery, lettuce, tomato, garlic. Pulse and blend the mix briefly to process it. Add the juice from one lime. Add the vinegar, chopped herbs, sea salt. Pulse till combined.

Pour into a storage container, add in the reserved diced watermelon. Cover and chill until serving. Two hours is best.

Total Servings: 6

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment