Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Black Holes, Snow, New Book, Recipe Discussion

blackhole350Came across an article which really interests me, they have found black holes which are bigger than any black hole previously known, described as supermassive, one is 9.7 billion times larger than our sun, that is inconceivable to most of our brains, we just cannot fathom such a size. The second one is either the same or bigger. A fascinating article which I am sure many will enjoy reading. I won’t attempt to paraphrase it, I’m  no scientist. Black holes have always fascinated me though. They also tend to scare me somewhat although I won’t be around to see what does happen and nor, my dear readers, will you.

Tuesday morning everywhere was covered in a light Snowy Treessnow, not the roads though. The trees looked absolutely beautiful in their white coatings, one of the best snowfalls I have seen for a while. We had to go out early to get blood work done and everywhere looked so fresh and Christmassy especially as it was still pretty dark. Sadly, it didn’t last very long and by the afternoon, the dusting everywhere was mostly gone, certainly amongst the trees.

I hear therRed Miste is a new Kay Scarpetta book out, I thought that series was finished, silly me, why would Patricia Cornwell stop when she has a good thing going. There is now talk of movies with Angelina Jolie being cast as Kay Scarpetta. The new novel is called Red Mist (a title which appears to have been used by other authors, so if you click the link look for the author as well). I have enjoyed reading these novels over the years, think I might have to do a re-read to reorient myself. One tends to forget the details over a long period of time. I must agree I am surprised films haven’t been made of these books before.

This sounds a pretty easy recipe to do at this time of year when so much else is going on. Two things I would point out, if you use the prepared garlic, it will not have as good a flavour and if you use apple juice it will be quite sweet. I discovered that with a previous pork recipe, the sauce for which turned out way too sweet for me. I talked to someone recently who used ‘cooking’ wine, please don’t, this is pretty awful stuff and is full of salt. Use a reasonably good, drinkable, dry white wine, you don’t have to pay a fortune for it. If you don’t normally drink wine, ask at the store or ask a friend who does drink it. You may have to give the rest of the wine to your friend anyway, it won’t keep.

Drunken Pork Roast

Food.com
By Denise in NH on April 30, 2002
Photo by Cookin-joDrunken Pork Roast

Servings: 4-6

About This Recipe

"This is one of the most tender and flavorful pork roast you will ever have eaten. The nice part is, it is all cooked in one casserole so you have a complete meal without a lot of extra pans to wash"

Ingredients

2 -3 lbs pork loin
1 cup white wine ( or 1/2 cup wine and 1/2 cup apple juice)
2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves ( I use the minced in the jar to save time)
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon oregano
2 bay leaves
10 small red potatoes, quartered
1 lb baby carrots
1 large green pepper, halved, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch strips
6 stalks celery, sliced thin
1 medium turnip, cut in small chunks
3 onions, sliced

Directions


  1. Marinate pork loin in wine, garlic and herbs overnight.
  2. Place pork in a a large covered roasting pan (I used a three quart casserole, but if you want to add a few extra veggies, you may want to go bigger).
  3. Arrange vegetables around the roast.
  4. Pour the marinade over roast and vegetables.
  5. Cover and bake at 350°F for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
  6. Remove cover and continue baking for another 1/2 hour.
Have a great day
Jo

2 comments:

  1. I just read Blow Fly these past few months, first Scarpetta book I have read, but will keep the author name in mind so I can look for other books by her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said, I think I need to do a re-read as the books have been around for years and I have forgotten a lot of what happened. Can't remember if you are near a library where you live, I rely on libraries a lot these days.

    ReplyDelete