Friday, December 16, 2011

Books, Parking, Tim Card.

One of the problems with being sick, one doesn’t do very much or take a lot of interest in much, so there isn’t a lot to write about. Mind you there was only one illness I suffered from when I was a youngster, which stopped me from eating, that was Quinzies, if kingdomgodsyou don’t know what that is, I hope you never find out. I lost about 14 lbs. that week but it was an unpleasant way of dieting. I just couldn’t eat. I have just started the last in a series by N.K. Jemisin in her Inheritance Trilogy about the 100 Thousand Kingdoms. It’s called The Kingdom of Gods. I have been very much enjoying these books and expect to do so with this one. In fact, I haven’t felt very much like reading either and am sending two books back to the library unread, just couldn’t be bothered. Another I already sent back, most unlike me. I can always order them again of course.

An offbeat story just caught my eye, complaints about parking reserved for expectant mothers is being grabbed by people in a hurry, frequently men they say. I quote from their Facebook page “What society doesn't realize is that many of us are at high risk of premature labour, falling and injuring parking-mothersourselves or our babies, suffering from blood loss after labour, risk of tearing stitches, risk of fainting during early pregnancy, let alone risking our other children's safety and the public's as our kids escape our hand while we carry the newborn infant and get caught up in traffic”. I do agree that such women need help and parking spaces is one way to assist them. I have disability parking and its amazing how often there are no available spaces because someone hasn’t any time so grabs the nearest vacant spot. I must admit its not something I really thought about until I had one myself. We once got in trouble parking in a disability spot without a license, we had done so because our friend was on crutches, but that doesn’t count if you don’t have the right paperwork.

TimcardOne of my Avon customers dropped off a gift for us today, one is wrapped the other was a TimCard Quickpay card which allows me to go to Tim Horton’s, the most popular Canadian coffee shop, and get coffees and, presumably, donuts or sandwiches or something. Matt will eat the odd apple fritter, but he doesn’t drink coffee or tea. This customer has been buying chocolates for a few years but has now discovered I have diabetes. Oh well, I drink lots of decaf coffee.
That’s all from me for now, I have no idea how long this will be going on, but my apologies to my readers.

I know, I’m a chocaholic, Matt says I will eat anything if it has chocolate in it.

Crème de Mênthe Sprinkled Brownies

HERSHEY'S Natural Unsweetened Cocoa

About 35 HERSHEY'S BLISS Creme de Menthe Milk Chocolates, divided
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
4 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Cutting from corner to corner, cut each chocolate into 4 triangles; set aside.
Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Add sugar and cocoa; stir to blend. Remove from heat. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Stir together flour, salt and baking soda; stir into chocolate mixture. Spread in prepared pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brownie starts to pull from edges of pan and is set. Cool 25 minutes; sprinkle chopped candies over surface. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares or triangles. About 36 brownies.

Have a great day
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment