Monday, December 12, 2011

Health, Turrón, Movie.

Well, most of my weekend has been something of a washout due to this bursitis. Such a pity as the weather has been beautiful, chilly but very, very sunny. Just the sort of weather to enjoy the outdoors. I am improving but still getting a fair amount of pain. Most painless place to be is lying in belderlyed with my arm flat. I go to see the doc on Wednesday so am leaving it til then to get something done about it, I hope. I had a couple of tips from Lulu in the comments of my Saturday blog, both of which I have put into practice, thanks so much to you. Matt isn’t much better, he has arthritis in his big toe, used to call it gout, so he has trouble walking without pain. We are a right pair at the moment.

I keep reading about friends making cookies up the kazoo for Christmas, so very industrious of them. I keep trying to persuade them to send me a care package, but I have had no success as yet. I guess the main reason I have never baked cookies is that I know Choc turronwho’s hips they would end up on. Matt isn’t all that fussed, he will eat them now and again if they are available. On Saturday night we opened our Turrón by the way, it was delicious. Not going to touch it again til next week, need to save some for Christmas although the chocolate one is calling me very loudly. Matt’s comment was that the original was better than the chocolate, aha!!!!! I’m hatching plans.

Last Chance HarveySunday we watched a movie called Last Chance Harvey with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. Great movie, we both enjoyed it.  Both characters are basically losers until Dustin flies to England to attend his daughter’s wedding – daughter decides her step father should give her away, hurtful. Meanwhile, Emma is having no success meeting men and is somewhat resigned to the situation. Obviously eventually they meet one another. I really love Emma Thompson, I think she is brilliant, guess I think the same about Dustin Hoffman too. If you get the chance to see it, it is a delightful story.

Looking for recipes and interesting titbits in the news, I came across this different version of Tiramisu which is an all time favourite dessert of mine. This is a bit of a cheat as well, but give it a go, looks easy dunnit?

Gingerbread Tiramisu

A Semi-Homemade Holiday TreatGingerbread_Tiramisu_091221_mc
From the Kitchen of Sandra Lee
www.semihomemademag.com

Ingredients
1 (14.5-ounce) box gingerbread cake and cookie mix, Betty Crocker
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, divided
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups frozen non dairy whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup strong coffee or coffee-flavoured liqueur
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Garnish: 1 (9.7-ounce) bar bittersweet dark chocolate
Maraschino cherries

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 15x10-inch jellyroll pan with
nonstick baking spray with flour.
2. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into
prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick
inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool. Cut cake in half,
forming 2 (10x71/2-inch) pieces. Cut each half lengthwise into
1-inch strips; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup confectioners'
sugar, and vanilla at medium-low speed with an electric mixer
until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
4. In the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish, arrange half of
gingerbread strips in a single layer, trimming to fit, if
necessary. Brush coffee or liqueur evenly over gingerbread. Spread half of cream cheese mixture over top. Layer with
remaining half of gingerbread strips, trimming to fit, if
necessary, and remaining cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with
cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar. Cover,
and refrigerate overnight.

Makes 12 servings

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment