Thursday, December 15, 2011

Health

Not a long post today. Went to the doc – originally my three monthly check up for diabetes. Matt also did the tests and it turns out he is borderline diabetic which does surprise me; so now they have to keep an eye on it. We can hold hands when we go for our blood work, LOL. I then mentioned my bursitis and much to my surprise, considering how tough she is about narcotics, she prescribed me some Percoset. Just one a day at bedtime, but my gaster is truly flabbered, she never, but never, prescribes anything stronger than Tylenol 3. I am writing this on Wednesday so haven’t had one yet. However I have been feeling lousy ever since and really not much up to writing a blog this evening. Please keep everything crossed that the Percoset helps me. I use the Tylenol 3 and do so reluctantly, not sure I am all that keen on taking anything stronger but…. I fail to understand why anyone would want to take them for pleasure. Cortisone shots were mentioned but I think she wants to see what happens with the pills first.

The answer to that is “damn all” I woke up in just as much pain as usual, not had much problem sleeping the time I have problems at night is when I make a bathroom visit and by the time I crawl back to bed I am hurting. Once I am flat on my back, shoulder starts to ease off.

Matt shops at 7 a.m. and I planned to go, shoulder planned otherwise. So you ended up with a late blog which is full of moans and groans, will try to do better tomorrow.

The first time I ate a wilted salad was in North Carolina where it was actually called a Killed Salad – at least I think that was the name because it sounded like keeled to me. The NC version was very much simpler with just hot bacon grease poured over the greens and pretty tasty, but I wouldn’t mind trying this one.

Wilted Spinach Salad with Chicken and Honey Mustard Dressing

By The Nourished Kitchen
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com

A wilted spinach salad, simple and nourishing, offers an excellent wilted_spinach_saladway to incorporate fresh greens onto your supper table. Heating the spinach very slightly, as in this wilted spinach salad recipe requires, provides a dual purpose: not only does it make the dish more suitable for cold days when fresh, raw greens can be unappealing, but it also helps to mitigate the effects of oxalic acid – an anti-nutrient naturally found in spinach and other greens.
Ingredients
Salad:
4 slices bacon
¼ cup prepared honey mustard dressing*
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1 small red onion, sliced into rounds
1 small apple, sliced thin
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped into bit-sized pieces

Honey Mustard Dressing:
¼ cup raw honey
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons unrefined extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons raw cider vinegar.
Instructions
Fry four slices bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon from the pan, turn off the heat and gently stir ¼ cup honey mustard dressing into the rendered bacon grease. Set aside to cool slightly.
Toss remaining ingredients together, garnish with fried bacon and dress with the mixture of bacon grease and honey mustard dressing.

Prepare the honey mustard dressing by whisking together raw honey, Dijon-style mustard, unrefined extra virgin olive oil and raw cider vinegar. You can always substitute this dressing with a prepared dressing of your choice.

Total Servings: 4

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment