Thursday, February 16, 2012

Doctors, Viruses, Smoking, Furnishings.

The other day we went to the doctors to discuss changing a medication he is on. She saidDoc cartoon he would have to see the cardiologist. Got a call from the cardiologist booking him in for an electrocardiogram, a stress test and a complicated BP test which costs us $50 (and is not reimbursed) then in April he will see the cardiologist himself. All to change medication!!! Matt wasn’t very happy about it. I guess we shouldn’t complain about the cost, in the US the whole thing would be expensive, but it’s a bit irritating anyway. His first test is today so that’s our day shot.

If you are on my email list, you will know that my laptop has been sending out Laptopspam or malware with gay abandon. I keep running virus scans which find some malware, but then it happens again, so have called my tech guy in. He was coming at 8 yesterday morning but I was reluctant to part with my laptop, however, I got up early and got dressed then opened my email to see that he wouldn’t be coming til Friday because I didn’t want to part with my machine. Damn. He’ll have to take it anyway, no point in him sitting here to run scans. They take a long time.

Can’t remember if I have mentioned how I quit smoking some 16 or so years ago. I Quit Keyused a little gadget called Lifesign. Basically you tell it when you smoke for a week and then it tells you when to smoke for the next month and you press a button to confirm that you did have a cigarette. If you do cheat, you tell the gadget and it will make necessary adjustments. These days they call it QuitKey and there is a key ring version. I keep telling people about it but would like to have some of their business cards to hand out so people could have contact info. available. I contacted them and they, in fact, sent me some leaflets, not just for smoking but for dieting and sleep problems too. I must say its quite a different looking gadget to the one I used. But for me this system was wonderful and I haven’t had a cigarette since I used it. They are not cheap but if you think what it costs to smoke in the first place. I just found a sign “If you want to know more about lung cancer,  keep smoking” very pertinent. I must admit I am interested in their Diet Mate, that gadget looks more like the original Lifesign that I used. I have read a lot of reviews and they seem to be generally favourable for the Diet Mate.

I finally found how to alter the date on my camera. Couldn’t find the book, ended up searching on the internet and there it was. Easy when you know how.

A sale was being held in the building, disposing of furniture, etc. from a person who died recently. We popped up and ended up buying a couch and a lounger. Our couch was getting quite worn and the chair I sit in was getting old too. Matt already has a nice lounger. Mind you, I am not sure when this is all going to happen as we are waiting for the superintendent to help.

I’m always on the lookout for different things to do with vegetables. This one, from Cooking.com is a different recipe for potatoes which certainly appealed to me. They describe them as cocktail food, but I am certain they would be equally as good if you made them part of a meal.

Sinful Spuds

Source: Cocktail Food
Makes 24 Filled Potatoes

Click here to find out more!The combination of feta, olives, and pine nuts nestled in a potato is divine. For a creative presentation, cut a lemon in half and use it as an oasis for a fresh herb bouquet (cut a thin slice off the bottom so it will lie flat). Rosemary and thyme work well because they don't wilt.

INGREDIENTSSinful Potatoes
For the Potatoes:
12 small new potatoes, uniform in size and shape
6 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the Feta:
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
2 tablespoons chopped green olives
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried currants
1/2 teaspoon chopped lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
24 parsley leaves for garnishing

DIRECTIONS

FOR THE POTATOES:
Cut a thin slice off the top and bottom of each potato. Cut the potatoes in half crosswise. Place in a large saucepan and cover with the water. Add the kosher salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and let simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 16 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. Strain and let cool.

FOR THE FETA:
Crumble the feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add the pine nuts, green olives, olive oil, currants, lemon zest, oregano, and pepper. Mix well.

TO ASSEMBLE:
Scoop out the center of each potato with a spoon or melon baller. Fill the centers with a heaping teaspoon of the feta mixture. Garnish with parsley leaf.

DO-AHEAD TIPS:
The feta mixture can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated. (Do not add the pine nuts until ready to assemble, and let the mixture sit at room temperature 1 hour before assembly.) The potatoes can be assembled up to 4 hours in advance.
Have a wonderful day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment