Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dairy, Our Tuesday. Chinese Lunch

Full_Fat_DairyI have been reading a lot about full fat dairy products lately. Although I have been drinking Skim milk for over 35 years, I went back to eating full fat cheeses and creams, in moderation, years ago. It now seems scientist have completely reversed their opinions on whether dairy foods are good for you or not. It is an article worth reading especially if you have any problems with weight or heart disease. To me, after so long, full fat milk tastes like cream. I only have a cup a day on my cereal, not a lot anyway and once in a while, if I am really, really thirsty I drink milk. Matt thinks I am crazy and should drink water, but water doesn’t do it for my thirst for some reason.

Yesterday we went for our diabetes check, I honestly don’t think Matt really needsPneumonia vaccine one, at least I got it extended to a 6 month check instead of 3. He hasn’t really got diabetes but apparently he’s close and at our age, the doc has to watch it I suppose. She also decided we needed pneumonia shots so we now have to have them on Thursday. This appears to be part of the getting old bit, she referred to pneumonia as a killer which surprised me, but there again, maybe that too is an age thing. I just Googled, what a wonderful source that is, and apparently a pneumonia vaccine is recommended for anyone over 65, and anyone with diabetes or several other diseases, so there you are, or there we are I guess. She also suggested we might want to have foot massages, but at $70 a pop, I don’t think so, our insurance would only pay $25 of that. However, she did suggest Matt also saw the foot nurse – I see her every 6 weeks – so will have to make him an appointment too.

Hot and SourAfter the docs we went to The Mandarin Chinese restaurant for lunch. I do like that place and could almost be satisfied with several bowls of Hot and Sour soup, its so delicious. I found some chicken dumplings and sautéed spinach too, didn’t know it was there until I found it on our last visit, actually thought they only had dumplings for Chinese New Year, only trouble was I forgot the dumpling sauce. Our waitress, when we first sat down, recommended the beef, ha, we don’t go there for Western of food.

Just came across this recipe from Food.com and thought it looked good for St. Paddy’s day, although I personally am not much into shakes and smoothies, but I know a lot of people are. Then I found the second recipe, also from Food.com which is much more in my line!!! Bearing in mind what I wrote above, I would use whole milk.

Copycat Mcdonald's Shamrock Shake

By Kree on March 15, 2005Copycat Shamrock Shake

Photo by gailanng

About This Recipe

"I used to absolutely love it when McDonald's brought out their Shamrock Shakes around St. Patrick's Day. The past couple of years I haven't been able to have it because of the dairy, so I was thrilled when I found this copycat recipe! Just use the soy ingredients to make it dairy-free."

Ingredients

  • 2 cups vanilla ice cream or 2 cups soy ice cream
  • 1 ¼ cups 2% low-fat milk or 1 ¼ cups soymilk
  • ¼ teaspoon mint extract
  • 8 drops green food coloring

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
  2. Stop blender to stir with a spoon if necessary to help blend ice cream.
  3. Pour into 12-ounce cups and serve each with a straw.
  4. Happy St Patrick's Day!

Now this is much better:

Shamrock Shake

By Kree on March 21, 2005Shamrock Shake

Photo by Rita~

About This Recipe

"And now for the adult version."

Ingredients

  • ½ fluid ounce vodka
  • 1 fluid ounce green Crème de Menthe
  • 1 scoop vanilla ice cream or 1 scoop soy ice cream
  • 1 mint sprig

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients (except mint sprig) in a blender. Blend on high for 20 seconds. Pour into a chilled Margarita or Collins glass.
  2. Garnish with a mint sprig (or a four leaf clover for St. Patty's Day!).

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments: