Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Premier Quits, Bowling, Drugs,

McGuintyAs you know, I am not politically minded in any way, but nevertheless I was quite surprised to hear the premier of Ontario, Dalton McGuinty, had stepped down yesterday. Not a matter of much interest outside Canada in general and Ontario in particular, but it did surprise me, as I said. He has been the Liberal party leader for 16 years and 9 as premier, he said it was time for someone else to step into the job.

Yesterday we bowled once again and Matt had three pretty good games, mine were pretty mediocre. Oh well, it’s a bit of exercise and these days I don’t get much. I tried to find out if and when I am scheduled for vascular surgery but didn’t have much luck, will try again tomorrow.

Today we are going for flu shots. Free by the way. Matt got two letters telling him Pillsthe doctor was now doing them and I didn’t get one. Need to get themselves sorted at the doctors. I have been having trouble getting pills once mine have run out, the pharmacy faxes the doctor and the doctor faxes back but this all takes forever and often ends with one party swearing they haven’t heard from the other. It is, quite frankly, a pain in the rear end. Especially as I take so many of the damned things. They tend to prescribe a month’s supply instead of 3 months but if I put up with that, with the number of pills I have to take, it would cost me a small fortune even if the government does pay most of the cost for seniors – we have insurance coverage too from Matt’s employment but generally don’t have to use it these days. Whoever pays, the pharmacist has all the information and deductions are made automatically, but even so, what we do have to pay can mount up.

Not a lot happening in my world at the moment and I haven’t had time to read many of the blogs of my friends. Maybe later on today.

I like chicken noodle soup, but this is a new one on me.

Chicken Noodle Casserole

Source: WebMD
8 Servings

Chicken Noodle Casserole
The casserole favorite takes two easy comfort ingredients -- chicken and noodles -- and makes a standby dinner recipe of them.

INGREDIENTS
2/3 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
3 celery ribs, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried savory
3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/2 cups 2 percent milk
1 1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained

DIRECTIONS
In a large nonstick skillet, sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add the broth, carrots, celery and savory. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over chicken mixture. Add noodles; mix well.
Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.

Have a great day
Jo





















2 comments:

  1. Not much for casseroles, but who can pass up chicken noodle soup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby can, doesn't like it at all. I thought this casserole sounded good.

      Delete