Friday, June 14, 2013

Oops

I had kind of forgotten that I was going for another sleep over at the sleep clinic. This time to check that using a CPAP machine is doing any good for me. I think it is.

However, my apologies, but I haven’t written a blog for today. I will leave you with a delicious sounding recipe instead. Not having a barbecue I can’t really make these and anyway Matt is not that keen on ribs, he prefers food he can eat with a knife and fork.

Molasses-Smoked Baby Back Ribs

Contributed by Tim Byres
  • SERVINGS: 4
Tim Byres has a no-fail method for ribs: He rubs them with a Food and Wineseasoned beer-based mop and cooks them in a foil packet for almost an hour to keep them moist before smoking them over wood.
mop
  1. One 12-ounce bottle lager
  2. 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  3. 1 cup unsulfured molasses
  4. 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
  5. 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  6. 1/4 cup Creole or brown Mustard
  7. 1/4 cup chile powder
  8. 1/4 cup smoked paprika
  9. 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  10. 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
  11. 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
  12. 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  13. Pinch of ground allspice

ribs

  1. Two 3-pound racks baby back ribs—membranes removed, racks halved
  2. Kosher salt
  3. Freshly ground pepper
  4. 3 cups hardwood chips, such as hickory or applewood, soaked in water for 1 hour and drained
  1. MAKE THE MOP Light a grill. In a large bowl, combine all of the mop ingredients and whisk until smooth.
  2. PREPARE THE RIBS Season the ribs all over with salt and pepper. Layer two 18-inch sheets of foil on a work surface and set a half rack of ribs in the center; pull the edges of foil up around the ribs. Spoon 3/4 cup of the mop over the rack and seal tightly in the foil. Repeat with the remaining 3 racks. Grill the rib packets over moderate heat, covered, for 45 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the rib packets to a baking sheet and let cool slightly.
  3. Meanwhile, transfer the remaining mop to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until reduced to 1 cup, 12 to 15 minutes; let cool completely.
  4. Wrap the wood chips in a double layer of foil and poke holes in the top of the packet. Remove the grill grate. Turn the heat off on half of the grill or rake the coals to one side. Set the wood chip packet directly on the flames or on the coals and replace the grill grate. When the chips are smoking, carefully open the rib packets and arrange the racks on the grill over indirect heat. Discard the foil and juices. Cover the grill and smoke the ribs until the meat is very tender, 1 hour. Brush the ribs with the reduced mop, transfer to a platter and serve.
Make Ahead
The finished ribs can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. Good recipe. I make my own barbecue sauce. I choose not to do the spice powders for onion and garlic and I use Dijon mustard and wine. I'll have to try the lager. Bet it adds a good flavor.

    This barbecue sauce would be great for chicken too!

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right it would be good with chicken. I think I would prefer to use onion and garlic rather than the powder.

      Delete
  2. Mmm, Mmm, Good!

    Hope your sleep test goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolanda, it was a tad disturbed at the beginning, but once I dropped off, it was fine. Until I had to remove the gunk from my hair.

      Delete
  3. I wish I enjoyed eating ribs as much as I enjoy the thought of eating ribs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ribs, but in an apartment one isn't allowed to have a barbecue.

      Delete
  4. I love ribs. We have smoker and make them frequently. I don't like the teeth flossing required afterwards, though.
    Thanks for your kind words about our recent tragedies here. You're such a supportive friend, and I appreciate you.

    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there is a lot of teeth cleaning after, but it's worth it.

    Thank you for your compliments, I wish I could do more to support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope all went well with the test. I hear getting the gunk out of the hair is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't sleep so well this time.

    Actually so long as you have plenty of water, its not that bad getting the gunk out.

    ReplyDelete