Friday, July 19, 2013

Printer, Latest Book.

I have a Hewlett Packard printer which I have had for a few years now. For everyday documents, it’s fine, but when I want to do HP Printersomething special like a photo from the photo tray, it doesn’t work too well, nor does it really like printing envelopes. I don’t have a lot of call for photos or envelopes, so I didn’t worry about it. However, yesterday I was trying to print a picture and I got so frustrated that I gave them a call. The first thing I had to do was let them take over my computer, OK, no problem. Then I was watching what they were doing and from my point of view it didn’t seem to have much to do with my printer. In the end they said my computer had registry problems and junk files and they would have to clean that up before they could re-set the printer or something and they wanted almost $200 to do this. Whaat? You must be joking! I said nuts, thank you very much. I can get my registry and junk files dealt with a lot cheaper than that. I still don’t see what it’s got to do with the fact that the photo tray doesn’t work properly and has never done so. Prior to buying this printer I had always used Kodak’s and I wish I had stuck to them. The inks are a lot cheaper for a start. You can guarantee the next printer I get will be Kodak.

Having finished, and thoroughly enjoyed, A Natural History of Blow FlyDragons, I am now reading the latest Patricia Cornwell book, Blow Fly. It is a Kay Scarpetta novel and I have been enjoying those for years. In fact I am not 100% sure I read the last book, part of me thinks I did, part of me is doubtful. I will have to check it out. Kay Scarpetta has moved to Florida and I can’t really remember what happened to force her to do so. What happened to Kay’s lover/boyfriend too, I have no idea. This makes me believe I can’t have read the last book. Frustrating. That’s two frustrations in this blog so far. Doing well.

My brain isn’t working that well today, I received some extremely bad news on Wednesday about a blogging buddy and I have been upset ever since.

This is one of our favourite starters. We actually haven’t made it in a while because it is preferable to have really nice tomatoes of the right size. I cannot believe there is no photo of these – or at least I can’t find it. When you present the tomato it is turned top side down and a basil leaf stuck into the flesh to make it look like a regular tomato to which nothing has been done. I guess we’ll have to make them again fairly soon so I can take a pic.


Tomates Perlines

2 Med TomatoesTomatoes
1/4 tsp sugar
dash salt
Twist of pepper
1 Clove Garlic
1 tsp olive oil
2 Tbs slivered almonds
2 Lge anchovies
1 lge canned pimiento
1 Tbs capers
5 Black olives
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
Tabasco
pepper

1. Core tomatoes and place in boiling water for 1 min then put in ice water to cool. Peel and deseed the fruit. Place each tomato in a ramekin and add sugar, salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil to each one. Bake in a 250 oven for 3/4 hr.
2. Mix remaining ingredients, except olive oil and stuff the tomatoes. Turn upside down on a plate and drizzle with olive oil. Decorate with herb leaves, etc.

Servings: 2
Source: Great Cooks

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm. 'Blow Fly' was originally published in 2004 and has been reissued. I hate when authors and their publishers do this and try to pass it off as a new book with a new cover. I think it is a huge rip-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your'e right Denise, I realised last night that it was an old book. However, its a library book so that doesn't matter so much. However, I was a bit teed when I realised it wasn't a new book as I'd thought.

      Delete
  2. The starter recipe sounds wonderful.

    I wouldn't spend that $200 either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you couldn't eat the anchovies though.

      Delete
  3. Jo, you can buy a new printer for less than that. What that technician told you sounds bogus to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that Alex, but you are quite right. I guess they were going to charge me all that to "clean" the computer. My tech guy does it every time he works on my computer anyway. Apart from anything else, I don't think its got anything to do with my computer, the damned thing hasn't worked right for photo printing and such ever since I had it.

      Delete
  4. I am HORRIBLE with technology. Haha. I feel ya with the printer thing. BUMMER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually that bad with it. But I have another problem for tomorrow LOL

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo .. yeah I don't trust helplines .. so as Alex says you could probably buy a new one more easily ...

    Love the tomato dish though .. the ingredients I crave! Delicious .. cheers and would be just right for today - it's warm and sunny here ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly thing is, its a reputable company, or I thought it was.

      Its a great dish and I don't know why we haven't made it in quite a while.

      Delete