Thursday, December 19, 2013

Gigi, This and That as Well as the Other.

GigiI am, of course, writing this on Wednesday night and I’m feeling all warm and fuzzy because I have just watched Gigi. Another of my favourite movies. Maybe I should go and get Bloodsport to change my mood. I’ve always love Gigi and particularly loved Maurice Chevalier. The first time I saw it, i made a point of seeing all his old movies whenever I could get hold of them or find them somewhere. He made some very good ones over the years. I always loved Louis Jourdan too I saw him do other movies but I can no longer remember what they were.

Today our new cleaning ladies start so I hope they prove to be good especially in view of what they charge. They did drop their prices for us, but even so it’s more than we have been paying, so here’s hoping.

Also bowling today. The League is now off until December 30th, but my Thursday group have decided to bowl on Monday anyway. Get at least one shot at exercise that week. With all the food around, I need it. Need to make use of my treadmill too.

Last night I was delighted to get a phone call from my cousin in California. We haven’t seen each other in a number of years, not since his son was stationed in Morehead City, NC and he visited us there too. Turns out he is just about one year older than Matt.

I won another book today too. I will talk about it later when I have it. I seem to be lucky winning lately, maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

Not much to talk about tonight, still getting snowed upon, Matt reckons we have had 6 inches which, compared to some, really isn’t that much. Might get a white Christmas yet.

These figs really appealed to me, I’ve seen lots of figs in the stores. Of course the calorie count would be pretty horrendous I think. This was from Cooking.com.


Figs Stuffed with Chocolate and Almonds

Source: Casual Cuisines of the World - Taverna

Serves 6
Rec Image
Although the combination might not seem obvious at first glance, one taste of these confections shows how well-suited dried figs are to the rich tastes and textures of chocolate and almonds. Serve this after-dinner sweet with a glass of good Portuguese port or Madeira.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds, plus 12 whole blanched almonds
1/4 cup sugar
2 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
12 large dried figs

DIRECTIONS
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the slivered and whole almonds on a baking sheet, keeping them separate. Bake until toasted and fragrant, 8-10 minutes. Let cool. Set aside the 12 whole almonds. Leave the oven set at 350 degrees F.
In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine the sugar, slivered almonds and chocolate. Use rapid on-off pulses to form a coarse paste.
Cut off the stems from the figs. Using a small, sharp knife, cut a small slit 1 inch deep in the top of each fig. Using a small spoon, stuff each slit with about 1 teaspoon of the almond-chocolate mixture. Pinch the openings closed. As the figs are stuffed, place them on a baking sheet, stem sides up.
Bake for 5 minutes. Turn the figs over and continue to bake until softened, about 5 minutes longer.
Remove from the oven and press a whole almond into the slit. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Have a great day
Jo

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So do I, it's lovely to see all the lights shining on the snow at night.

      Delete
  2. Love stuffed figs! Seems like an easy recipe.

    I'm not dreaming of a White Christmas. Just sayin' If you're looking forward to one then I hope you get it. :-)

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doe seem simple.

      Thanks, hope so too. But then we don't have to shovel.

      Delete