Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Exchange, Purple Tomatoes.

I mentioned the exchange rate between the US and Canada. Today I cashed a cheque for $40 US and got $43.40. Fine when it’s coming in, but not so good when it’s going out. Unless Exchangesomething drastic happens I don’t think we will be vacationing in the States this year. The trouble is, it’s dollars to dollars so one notices it, when we lived in Europe, we just bought francs, marks or guilders without thinking about it. Of course it’s all euro today so no exchange other than travelling from Great Britain. Good day for me, not only did I get a cheque for $40 but I got paid for my stamps so that was another $40. Wish I could find some more misprinted stamps.

Here’s a new one, a genetically modified tomato which is purple because it has been modified to contain cancer fighting purple-tomatoesanthocyanins similar to blueberries which is what turns them purple. These have been grown in Leamington, Ontario, which isn’t very far from here. One of my main questions, what do they taste like? I find most of the tomatoes available in stores today are pretty tasteless and hardly worth the effort. The last time we had tomatoes we really thought tasted good was from a particular farm in Bogue, North Carolina from who we used to buy them by the bushel load.

OK, so here’s another recipe for the Superbowl on Sunday. Thinking of you again Tina Downey. Once more potato, this time skins which I personally love. It’s a fairly easy Kraft recipe.

Super Skins


Save the baked potatoes out of their skins for another day. These loaded potato halves are skins only—filled with CHSuper Skins recipeEEZ WHIZ, bacon bits and sour cream.
24 servings

What You Need

6 baking potatoes (2 lb.), baked
2 Tbsp.  oil
1 jar  (15 oz.) CHEEZ WHIZ Cheese Dip
1/4 cup  OSCAR MAYER Real Bacon Bits
1/2 cup  BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
2 green onions, sliced

Make It

HEAT oven to 375°F.
CUT potatoes lengthwise in half; scoop out centers, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. (Reserve centers for another use.) Cut shells crosswise in half.
PLACE shells, skin-sides down, on baking sheet; brush insides of shells lightly with oil. Bake 15 min. or until golden brown.
MICROWAVE CHEEZ WHIZ in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 3 min., stirring after 1-1/2 min. Spoon into potato shells; top with remaining ingredients.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Size-Wise
Savour every bite of this warm appetizer. Each serving, 1 potato skin, goes a long way on flavour.
Shortcut
Prepare as directed, substituting frozen waffle fries or french fries for the baked potato shells. Bake fries as directed on package. Place on serving plate. Serve topped with remaining ingredients.
Substitute
To prepare using VELVEETA® instead of the CHEEZ WHIZ, cut 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA into 1/2-inch cubes; place in microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 3 min. or until melted, stirring after 1-1/2 min. Pour into potato shells, then top with remaining ingredients as directed.
Have a great day
Jo

7 comments:

  1. I remember when the exchange was the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo .. exchange rates are always a nuisance - sorry it looks like you're not going to be able to get down south ... I've mostly been on the wrong end of the stick ..

    The recipes I see for the bowl each year are always interesting .. love potato skins too .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With any luck they could improve, but we have to book the cottage early in the year so they probably won't change much by then.

      A lot of the recipes tend to be chillis which I enjoy. Never know how to spell that, see it written so many ways.

      Delete
  3. I meant to add about the purple tomatoes ... love the colours .. cheers H

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I live potatoes - and really, I do - skins are not my preference. I think the beat thing you can put on a potato skin is more potato. Like those twice baked ones. Those are great.

    And tomatoes! They are up there with potatoes in the "things I love" list. But the quality of a tomato can really be all over the place. Those bland ones are hideous.

    Growing up, we'd always have tomatoes as a side to what we were eating for supper. They but those were the ones we grew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me skins are the best part so long as they are cooked properly. Mostly people don't. I scrub my baked potato, salt the skin and then bake it at 450°F for an hour. That way the skins are delicious.

      I remember better tomatoes when I was growing up as well and we didn't grow our own.

      Delete