Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Churchills, Age.

The First ChurchillsNo, this isn’t the same post. However, thinking about Winston, I started remembering the TV show I saw in Britain in 1969 called The First Churchills, I mentioned this yesterday, and I later discovered that the series had been shown by PBS in North America and they had the DVDs for sale. I have a birthday coming up so I bought them for Matt to give me. I told him later LOL. I think there are 4 DVDs. Funnily enough I was watching this series when I first met Matt. It really was a fantastic series and John Churchill was a fantastic man. He earned his fame and was duly rewarded by Queen Anne who was a great friend for many years – she made him Duke of Marlborough and the family still retains the title. Winston was grandson to the 7th Duke. There is still a Duke, the 11th is 88 right now. Sadly his son has had a battle with heroin. I should also mention that the Churchill family is also related to the Spencer family from which Princess Diana came which makes them relatives of Prince William and Prince George.

One of my commenters yesterday, Pinky Poinker a blogging friend from Australia, talking about Churchill, mentioned her dad was born in 1935. Boy did I feel old, my husband was born in 1935. I guess a number of my cyber friends are young enough to have been my kids. When I was a kid, people of our age were considered really ancient and a lot of them had already kicked the bucket before even reaching their 70s. What a difference today when you see people of 101 dancing on TV and 90 year olds doing Olympic training, or bowling regularly, etc.

I like lima beans. They are the nearest things here to broad beans which are/were very popular in England when I lived there. Not sure why they are not available here. Used to be one of my favourites.

Lima Bean Spread with Cumin and Herbs


From EatingWell:  August/September 2005, November 1997, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)

Humble limas are transformed into a sensational Mediterranean spread that is vibrant with a mix of fresh herbs and spices. You can substitute frozen edamame beans for the limas in Step 1; cook according to package directions.


About 1 1 /2 cups
Ingredients
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen lima beans
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Preparation
  1. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lima beans, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until the beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool in the liquid.
  2. Drain the beans and garlic. Transfer to a food processor. Add oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper; process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl, stir in mint, cilantro and dill
  3. Make ahead tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. Love Lima Beans!! Will try out your spread recipe and we don't have broad beans here in Missouri either.
    Going to have my daughter search that series out on Amazon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are available in North America anywhere.

      Amazon do have The First Churchills saw it there yesterday. $48.

      Delete
  2. I used to like limas in a pork chop with cream of mushroom soup recipe my mom used to make and I like them in mixed veggies. I would probably substitute the edamames for the spread though. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like edamame myself. Do you have the pork chop recipe?

      Delete
  3. Sorry if I made you feel old Jo. You certainly don't come across as old in your writing. My Dad is a very spritely man who writes short stories and is always challenging himself in the garden with different projects. I'll never think of him as old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. Did you ask him about the war years yet?

      Delete
  4. A great dip recipe Jo. Thanks. I'm always fascinated by Churchill stories. Saw a doco on Blenheim Palace a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now a countrywoman of yours was very critical of him and his actions especially in regard to Australian troops. Gotta do some research. I would like to have seen that doco.

      Delete
  5. Couldn't help but chuckle at you buying a gift for Matt to give you. Myra usually did that too. It guaranteed her two gifts instead of one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Matt can no longer think what to give me, so I have to do the thinking for him.

      Delete