Friday, January 2, 2015

Asparagus, Accident.

asparagusHere’s an interesting article a friend sent me to. Asparagus is good for hangovers. Pity I didn’t know this in time to blog about it for New Years’. I used to get terrible hangovers although Matt has never had a hangover in his life. I’d like to say that asparagus has helped me, but I basically only eat it in the spring and I don’t think it’s effects last all year.  Mind you I don’t drink as much as I used to but even when I was a heavier drinker, I had stopped getting any ill effects the next day.

Well, I am now an invalid for a while. We decided to go bowling on New Years’ Day. Went early to avoid the crowds. We both bowled reasonably well (Monday, by the way, we bowled really well). We both have our own bowling balls and once in a while the bowling lane wants to swallow them. You can often retrieve them by Thigh Musclethrowing house balls down the gutter. Usually on the adjacent lane. One of Matt’s balls went missing just as we were about the pack up and leave. I had already removed my bowling shoes and was stupid enough to go back on the alley to help. Of course it’s very slippery, on purpose, so silly me, my foot slid away from me and I tried to do the splits tearing my thigh muscle. I ended up on the floor of course. I could then hardly walk. Matt supported me off the alley and put my outdoor shoes on me then I had to go to the bathroom. That was agony. One of the owners offered to help me down the stairs if necessary, but with Matt and the bannister, I managed. When we got home, I was in considerable pain and shivering (it is cold but I think some of it was shock). I checked on the web and read RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. That is what I did for the rest of the day. Matt also got me a hot water bottle and a snuggy to wrap myself in. I took pain killers too, with the result by 5 p.m. things were considerably better. I also have bruised  fingers and a bitten lip. How long this will last I don’t know – I am hoping I will be OK for Monday bowling of course. Luckily no exercise class for Friday. That picture is just what I looked like. Not that I am a male of course LOL. Happy New Year Jo. Of course it was my own damned fault for wearing only socks.

Been getting a lot of scallop recipes lately. I love scallops so welcome any recipe with them. I do miss being able to buy bay scallops (smaller) so cheaply as I did in NC.

Seared Scallops with Warm Tuscan Beans


Pair this one-dish meal with a side of garlic bread. It's perfect for sopping up every last drop of the delicious sauce.
  • Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 4 ounces scallops and scallops-beans3/4 cup bean mixture)
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup prechopped onion
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 none garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 none (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 none (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Preparation
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle scallops evenly with salt. Add scallops to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove scallops from pan; keep warm.
2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add pepper and garlic; cook 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute or until most of liquid evaporates. Stir in broth and beans; cook 2 minutes. Add spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
Grilled garlic bread is great for dipping into the brothy beans. Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly over 4 (1-ounce) slices French bread. Add bread to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Rub one side of each bread slice with cut sides of a halved garlic clove.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

20 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - certainly didn't know about asparagus and I only eat it in Spring ... it's so good - I don't want it to be ubiquitous ... the scallops and Tuscan Beans sound good, warming too ..deliciously easy one stop meal.

    Sorreeee about the torn muscle - just one of those mistakes in life .. take it easy and take care ... and hope it recovers .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only eat it in the spring too Hilary.

      Seems a bit better today except when I sit down or stand up.

      Delete
  2. Oooops! Sorry to hear about your mishap Jo, amazing how one wrong move can lead to so much pain. Hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was stupid to walk down there is socks, but one hell of a punishment.

      Delete
  3. Oh Jo! Ouch!!!!! I hope you start to feel better soon. I can't imagine the agony. Rest and ice is the best for it but I know you have to get up and walk sometimes!!

    Asparagus is back in the stores....expensive though. I bought some a week or so ago. Tasty but at $3.99/lb I'm not making a habit of it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was agony yesterday, a bit better today though.

      Wait until the spring.

      Delete
  4. That sounds seriously painful. I hope it soon improves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch. Tearing a muscle hurts. I've done it more than once. I hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a hangover in a very long time, but I don't usually drink much either. But I'll eat asparagus anyway since I like it. And I really like scallops a lot. Rarely have them though since my wife won't even try them. I can't convince her that she's missing something really good.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Lee. It's such a shame when you can't convince people to try stuff which you know is delicious. Like I often say I try everything, if I don't like it I try it again in two years time and then again, etc. usually I end up enjoying it.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jo,

    I hope you are recovering nicely from your slippery bowling mishap. I have had similar situations occur back in the days when I went five pin bowling.

    Luckily, I don't have to worry about hangovers because I don't drink.

    A belated Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. It'll teach me not to go down into the alley in my socks again though. Matt can retrieve his own balls.

      That would be a cure for hangovers.

      Happy New Year to you, Tristan and Penny.

      Delete
  8. You poor thing. I fell over one new year's day and tore a hole in my knee and had to go to the hospital for stitches. I didn't have a hangover at all and went to great lengths to explain that to the doctor. I was all shivery after it happened too. Shock that to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hate that it was all my own fault. You're right, shock does do that to you

      Delete
  9. So sorry about your fall. Smooth healing to you.

    I never heard that asparagus is good for hangovers, either. I don't drink enough to get hangovers, but it's good to add another reason to eat asparagus. It's tasty and healthy.

    Happy New Year, and I hope the RICE works quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn. I don't need any reason to eat asparagus. I eat it every day in season.

      Seems to be doing so.

      Delete
  10. The scallops sound delightful - the fall, not so much. I too hope you're well soon.(smile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love scallops. I am still feeling very sorry for myself.

      Delete