Thursday, January 22, 2015

Nothing but Ants.

I have absolutely nothing to write about today. The only thing I picked up from the news was an app which costs you $25 a month and you can have a fake love interest. What a crock of ……..

I went to exercises and none of the ladies said they were cold yesterday although I gather a lot of them are infested with tiny critters they are calling ants although one person said they are not. So far they are on floors below us and above us but, knock on wood, we haven’t seen anything yet. I’m not sure I will make it on Friday because of Matt’s bone scan. Do get to go bowling on Thursday though.

This looks an interesting soup. I wonder how they get it so very green or is that just the photo shopping? I love the taste of Rosemary.

Spinach Soup With Rosemary Croutons

Spinach Soup With Rosemary Croutons
WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

Rosemary has a strong flavour, but offers only a subtle hint in this spinach soup. If you like, any seasonal greens you have on hand can be substituted for the spinach.
Ingredients

  • 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes country-style sourdough bread
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1  medium onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 2 cups diced peeled red potatoes
  • 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
  • 6 cups fresh spinach or chard leaves, tough stems removed
  • Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
Instructions
  1. To prepare croutons: Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Toss bread cubes, oil, garlic and rosemary in a large bowl until well combined. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, to prepare soup: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Pour in broth (or water). Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach (or chard) and continue to simmer until the greens are tender, about 10 minutes more. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender (in batches), leaving it a little chunky if desired. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
  4. Serve the soup garnished with nutmeg, if desired, and topped with the croutons.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

12 comments:

  1. Oh my word - fake love interest? I have officially heard it all. Soup sounds good. I like Rosemary... definitely some color. Enjoy bowling, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only that, paying $25 a month for it.

      Will do Dixie.

      Delete
  2. I somehow missed your two previous posts. I've been on antibiotics which have been making me feel nauseous and foggy so please excuse my tardiness. A fake love interest? There's a movie in that! Spinach is so good for you and I love it. This is a recipe I definitely use Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the antibiotics' side effects. Luckily they don't affect me. You're right a movie in the making. I love spinach too.

      Delete
  3. I love the colour of that soup ... I think you're right Jo - it might be photo shop ... it would be amazing to make something that looked like that. I hope the ants stay away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's very deep. But spinach might make a pretty vivid colour.

      So do I, Matt wanted me not to talk about it he was being superstitious I think.

      Delete
  4. That is one seriously green soup. I hope you don't get the bug infestation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too JoJo it would be difficult to get rid of by the sound of it.

      Delete
  5. $25 a month for a fake love interest app? I think that is crazy!

    Jo, I've nominated you for an award. If you stop by my blog, you can pick it up.
    http://susannedrazic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your bowling! We once had an ant infestation in a house we rented. We had to store all of our food in the fridge and dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did and we didn't. Not a very good showing on our parts. Still we are both aching somewhat.

      What a pain, I do hope we miss out.

      Delete