Monday, March 14, 2016

Bed Bugs Again,

I am sorry but my attention has switched back to bed bugs once more. I
am still being eaten so have decided to try diatomaceous earth (DE). I have discovered some very good videos put out by ZappBug - they sell a heating product for killing bugs, but their videos are not sales videos but really helpful ways of dealing with the problem. They even talk about heating clothes, etc. in their product or the dryer. They are not pushing their product at all. They are the only place I have seen where they mention the mental stress and lack of sleep knowing you are going to be a feeding station during the night. They don't sell DE either but they carefully show you how and where to use it and how to apply it to turn your bed into a safe zone.  I have also bought the powder duster which can be used to apply behind switch plates etc. because apparently our little visitors crawl around inside walls. This is NOT an instant treatment, but it is supposed to be a good one according to BuggZap. This is turning out to be an expensive proposition but if I can stop the bugs, I guess I shouldn't worry. I have also ordered little disks which are designed to sit under the feet of the bed plus another mattress cover. Matt has two which the pest control people put on his bed, I only have one. If there are any bugs actually nesting inside my mattress I want to make it impossible for them to get out. If one keeps these covers on for 18 months the little dears will die. I think I will keep ours on a lot longer just to be sure.

This week I also have to go see the orthopaedic surgeon and Matt has to see the doctor who removes his skin cancers. I have to pick up the CD of my X-ray, I thought they could do that via computer. Apparently not.

I am not sure how many blogs I will write this week, I am just not really in the mood. That might change, but at the moment I am climbing walls and in a fragile mental state.  .

This is a heart healthy version of Fettucine Alfredo, I've been on a bit of a pasta kick lately, can you tell?





Quick Fettuccine Alfredo

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com




In this healthy fettuccine Alfredo recipe, the sauce for this classic pasta dish gets a makeover, using yogurt. Although we like to toss this creamy pasta sauce with fettuccine, any whole-wheat pasta can be used.



Quick Fettuccine AlfredoIngredients

  • 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Instructions

Step 1
Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
Step 2
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the reserved pasta water and remove from heat. Whisk in yogurt, 1/2 cup Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the fettuccine and combine well. Serve topped with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.

Have a great day

24 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - good luck with the bed bugs ... it sounds really challenging ... and I wish you all the best.

    Fettucine Alfredo is a delicious simple pasta ... love it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Challenging is the right word Hilary. Thanks for the good wishes.

      Yes, I will be trying it soon.

      Delete
  2. That recipe sounds yummy. Good luck with the new bug treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bug treatment isn't here yet Helen. End of the week I think.

      Delete
  3. At this point, I'd be throwing everything but the kitchen sink at those bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What makes you think I haven't Alex? Actually, Melissa came up with a good idea to take an antihistamine for the bites. I never thought of that.

      Delete
  4. How tiring with the bed bugs! I can see why that would put you in a fragile mood on top of everything else going on!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Betty. I am fed up to the back teeth with it all.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry that you are still having issues. That sucks. :( But the fettucine alfredo sure sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo. It is certainly making life pretty rotten at the moment.

      Delete
  6. I love alfredo and may try that one. So sorry about the bugs. I knew they were hard to get rid of but hearing everything you've done make me wonder how anyone every gets rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is supposed to be healthier Susan.

      I have a friend in the States who said it took them a year.

      Delete
  7. If you are having this much trouble getting them out of your apartment how does anyone get them out of their house? Guess I shouldn't complain about the deer. All they eat are the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least in your house you don't have them trotting across the hall or anything. True Denise.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about the bed bugs. :( And that fettuccine alfredo looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a pest guy coming to get rid of Funnel Ants in our backyard today. They've been biting the dogs on the feet and one bit me on the toe yesterday and I was in agony for three hours. Now it's all itchy. I'm glad they're not in my bed. My heart goes out to you, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't like the sound of those Pinky. Painful. At least these only itch, but boy do they itch. Thanks for the sympathy.

      Delete
  10. Bugs ofs any kind, anywhere, drive me nuts.
    On the positive side, I think I'll make Quick Fettuccine Alfredo tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear what it's like. I hadn't got any yoghurt.

      Delete
  11. I don't know your frustration but it must be discouraging. I think of the quote,"Never give up, never surrender." You will win over these burgers, just continue to try all you can. Have you talked to the pharmacist about the bites? If they are itchy, etc... The pharmacist can help. When my hubby had close to 80bites on just one foot from mosquitoes, he was ready to cut his foot off. I made a baking soda paste which alleviated it somewhat but I took a picture of his feet and showed it at Shoppers Drug Mart and the man there showed me some cortisone cream which really did the trick and eased the itch. Reaction can help too. Anyway, hope the mattress cove and all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have thanks Birgit. They gave me some stuff made by Polysporin which does help. My foot nurse also mentioned cortisone. I have to wait for all the things I have ordered. I won't be here on Thursday and Friday afternoon when they are due to arrive. Doc appts. which we can't get out of.

      Delete