Monday, April 17, 2017

Tough Duck? Deck Chairs, Books,

I give up. I wrote a while back about Matt saying meat was tough. Saturday night he said the duck
was too tough to eat. Personally I thought it was delicious. What really gets me he has an almost complete set of his own teeth but finds stuff tough. Me on the other hand, short of those items but still can enjoy meat he calls tough. So, Sunday supper I ate the rest of the duck and made eggs for Matt with salad for both of us. So I guess that's the last duck we will have. I have already changed my method of cooking meat generally to ensure he finds it tender enough. I really don't know why he is having such problems. The duck, which came from the local grocery store, had an orange sauce with it, in a packet, which I decided to try, it was delicious too. I took a quick picture just before I started pulling it apart.

Saturday started with rain but by the afternoon, the weather was lovely and I stood on the balcony for a while enjoying the sunshine. Matt suggested we put the chairs back out but I felt that was a waste of time, we have some fold up camping chairs so maybe we can use those. The chairs we normally have, are really quite heavy. They are, at present, in the bedrooms. Funny we have had the folding chairs for several years and hardly ever used them.

Bob Scotney is doing an interesting series on his A to Z posts about houses in the UK. His M for Mmenabilly reminded me of a book I read, many years ago, by Daphne DuMaurier called The King's General. I have always enjoyed her books and recently re-read a few of them, I have now ordered this book from the library because, if it is the story I remember, it is a book which I really enjoyed as a young woman. Actually, I was pretty surprised the library had it. I haven't mentioned it before, but I have been reading a lot of Tanya Huff's book lately, her Confederation series. I am really enjoying them and can't wait to get the next one.

Sunday night I finished the duck and Matt had eggs. I made a salad and used a lettuce from Spain?? I haven't seen lettuce from Spain before so I googled. Apparently we buy stuff from all over the world depending on the season. I thought anything we couldn't grow came from Mexico or even further south, what do I know? So then I wondered, how is lettuce, in particular, shipped? By air would be cost prohibitive I would have thought, but how long can you keep it fresh when travelling by sea. I couldn't find out.

It's getting to that time of  year - my tastebuds are all woken up with anticipation. What for? Asparagus. It says 4 servings, not in this house. Also, if you can get farm fresh asparagus, you don't need to trim the ends of course.
Asparagus with Dijon Vinaigrette 

Skinnytaste.com 

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tsp fresh chopped parsley
  • kosher salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 pound thin asparagus, tough ends trimmed off
Directions:
    In a medium bowl, whisk mustard, vinegar and 1 tbsp oil. Add parsley and season with salt and pepper.
    Steam or boil asparagus for 2-3 minutes until cooked and tender. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
    Transfer asparagus to a serving dish and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Can be served warm or chilled.
    4 servings

    Have a great day
     

    12 comments:

    1. I remember my mother-in-law complaining about chewing and passed it off as old-age. Maybe it is a jaw issue and not teeth.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really don't know Denise, maybe it is an old age thing, but not everybody has the same problem.

        Delete
    2. Try putting all the meat in the crockpot. He can't find it too tough to eat after it's been slow cooked for 6 hours!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have several ways of cooking meat that have worked OK for him but I didn't think of the duck being too tough JoJo. Didn't seem so to me.

        Delete
    3. Hi Jo - well I guess you know ... and somehow do something simpler for Matt - frustrating to say the least ... waste of a roast though ... glad you enjoyed yours. Lettuce from Spain - by air ... but I'm amazed they've had a bad Spring with all the floods and freezing weather ... we couldn't get veg here - because their green foods weren't available ... I didn't worry I just used something else - cabbage finely sliced ... cheers Hilary

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I ended up eating the whole bird over a couple of days Hilary. By air? I would have thought that would cost too much to the end user. Maybe they decided they could get more from North America than from European customers.

        Delete
    4. I guess the only really tender meat would be fish then.
      Use the lawn chairs. At least they are light.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have cooked meat in several ways that he seems to manage Alex. I think it is an age thing that some people suffer from.

        You're right, they are.

        Delete
    5. I have no words about why all the meat is tough especially since I thought Duck would be ok...mostly dark meat and I remember enjoying the duck. Yes..you love that vegetable and I...yuck...hahahaaa

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am beginning to believe it is mostly Matt, but I still have to take it into account when I cook Birgit. I love duck myself.

        Oh yes, delicious. Have you ever tried it totally fresh?

        Delete
    6. I wonder why he finds everything so tough?

      Mostly all veggies from Mexico get me sick. Even when one I got and thought it wasn't turned out it was and I only learned that after I got sick. So ... I skip all veggies from mexico and fruit. Wait, lemons and limes I'm okay with but the ones from USA have more juice.

      I get my cukes from you guys when I cannot get them locally.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I don't know Ivy, maybe an age thing with some people.

      Generally I don't notice where the veggies etc. come from but I happened to notice this time. Pity you have problems with Mexican produce.

      Didn't know we grew cukes for export.

      ReplyDelete